As Jesus followers we are called into the Kingdom Life. This blog will help us converse and learn what that means. It will contain thoughts on Scripture, Sermon Reflection, Leadership Training and interesting reads. -Pastor Jeff

Friday, July 11, 2014

Cold Timid Souls

 I was sitting at my computer about 10 years ago, wrestling through some ministry related stuff.   I had failed at a number of ministry ventures and was doubting both my competency and calling.  I clicked on my email account and found a quote from a friend of mine who was at the time an Army Chaplain.  His email simply said, "This quote has meant a lot to me and I believe it might mean a lot to you."  Then I read a quote that has become perhaps one of the most important quotes in my life.  It's from Teddy Roosevelt. 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” 

I immediately printed it out and taped it above my computer where I had to stare at it everyday.  This quote captures so much of what I believe life to be about.  So many people spend their whole lives "preparing to go" without actually doing anything.  There are a number of reasons why that is...fear, recognizing the cost involved with stepping out, comfort, naysayers...you can fill in other reasons.  These reasons are simply excuses that create in life a "paralysis of analysis."  Those who fail to "do something" often become both cynical and bitter, calling into question the actions of others.  They become critics (and often cold and timid souls).  However, I never want to be numbered amongst them.  I want to live the kind of life that has dared greatly and even if I've in the end failed, will be able to look back upon life and say...at least I gave it a chance.  

When we are willing to step into the arena, to take a leap of faith...I believe we place ourselves solely in the dominion of God, where stretching beyond ourselves we see what only God can accomplish.  I want to be one who knows the dust and sweat of both failure and victory!  I want to live a life that has dared to trust God.   

No comments:

Post a Comment