As Jesus followers we are called into the Kingdom Life. This blog will help us converse and learn what that means. It will contain thoughts on Scripture, Sermon Reflection, Leadership Training and interesting reads. -Pastor Jeff

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

"We know in part." --the Quest for (T)ruth

Read 1 Corinthians 13:9-13
"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." vs.12

Only about a year into my journey as a follower of Jesus and I had convinced myself that I'd pretty much figured it all out.  I'd read the right books, listened to the right sermons, bought into the right theology and was very confident in my ability to speak (T)ruth.  So that's what I did.  Sitting at the YMCA next to an older gentleman, he made the mistake of asking me what I was reading in the bible and what I thought about it.  So I laid into to it.  I told him everything I knew for sure about God.  After listening to my arrogance for about half an hour, he reached his hand across the table, placed it on mine and said, "Son I'm a retired Methodist preacher of 50 years and if there is one thing I've learned in that time is that it is Ok to not have all the answers...to sometimes say, I don't know."  There are moments when God uses random strangers to put us in our place, and that was one of those moments for me.

I was reminded that no matter how much I think I know and understand there is still so much more that remains unseen.

I am afraid that Christians often suffer from over-confidence in how much they understand the (T)ruth.  Now wait, before you write me off as someone who doesn't believe in Truth, let me explain.  In the Christian faith, we believe that Jesus is (T)ruth with a capital T.  He is not only source and origin of Truth but the One to whom all Truth points.  However, we aren't Jesus.  Our understanding is constrained by our humanity.  The lenses we wear to interpret Truth are clouded by our biases, our environment, our background, our location, history, which theology we've chosen, our struggles, etc.  Paul says that no matter how much we think we know, we "know in part."

If Jesus is (T)ruth, then the very best that you and I can do is (t)ruth (with a lower case t) when we make sense of Him.

Think of it this way.  When we get out of a really hot shower, the mirror is all steamed up.  At first, we can see a form, a featureless form.  As time goes on, the image begins to clarify.  In a hurry, we rush to wipe off a spot so we can see, and leave the mirror all streaked up.  We know it's best to let the steam dissipate so we can see more clearly.  The same could be said of our journey of faith.  When we become followers of Jesus, we step in front of a steamy mirror and for the rest of our lives the image clarifies, but never fully.

So where does that leave us?

1.)  Intellectual Humility:  The church does not have to overshoot its mark in how much (T)ruth it understands.  Instead in humility, the church lives in absolute dependence to Jesus, embracing the (t)ruth that's accessible to us.  It is bold yes, recognizing that in my boldness that there is possibility we might get somethings wrong.  I don't believe any of us will one day arrive in the presence of God and hear, "You nailed that!  You got me completely right!  In fact, why don't you sit up here on this throne with me."  No, instead I think we will hear, "Well done good and faithful servant, you did the best you could with what you had.  You spoke with humble confidence.  You lived in humble submission."  Perhaps the best we can do.

2.)  In Pursuit of Love:  Paul seems to think that when our clarity fails us, there is always love.  That maybe the most important part of that passage.  Though our intellectual clarity might be foggy.  Though our spiritual clarity might be a bit hazy.  The best thing we can do is live a life of love based on what we know of the Love of Christ.  I wonder if the difference we make has more to do with how close we come to knowing clearly (T)ruth or the impact that our lives of love have on others.

Paul is in an interesting character to caution us toward humility in what we know.  Reading through his letters in the New Testament, you come to discover that he's pretty convinced of a lot.  However, his prayer in Romans 11 tempers his gusto.

May this be your prayer and your praise today!
33 Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
    How unsearchable his judgments,
    and his paths beyond tracing out!
34 “Who has known the mind of the Lord?
    Or who has been his counselor?”
35 “Who has ever given to God,
    that God should repay them?”
36 For from him and through him and for him are all things.
    To him be the glory forever! Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment